Saturday, April 2, 2011

Strawberry Bonanza?

I hope so.
I have always had poor luck with strawberries.
We live in berry country and around nearly every corner there is someone selling berries from their farm.  You would think with these conditions my strawberry attempts would thrive.  I have experienced all manner of strawberry disasters: drowning, drying out, too much shade, sunburn, slug attack. 
This year I am showing no mercy.  I made a bed in the north lawn I made mounds and actual rows and irrigation ditches.  Sluggo will be used liberally.  This is by far the most traditional gardening I have ever done, the closest thing would be the garden boxes.  I really like the idea of making edibles part of the landscape but strawberries are important and they needed a dedicated patch.

I planted Puget Reliance and Tribute Everbearing.  Why those varieties?  Because that is what they had in the bareroot strawberries at Farmington Gardens when I was there.  Maybe I should have looked for some hoods.  I had a few left over so I put them in a strawberry pot I haven't had much luck with strawberry post in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment